RISK:07
Communicating risk

 
Organization

 

Accomodation:


For the RISK:07 there is a contingent of 36 single and 26 double rooms in the hostle of the Lower Austrian Fire Service Training and Education Facility available:

Double room € 20 per person per night
Double room with one person € 30 per person per night
Single room € 25 per person per night

Bookings will be considered in chronology order of arrival. Should the contingent be utilised there are some attractive hotels in the nearer surrounding.

Hotel Nibelungenhof **** www.nibelungenhof.info (5 min. car travel to the conference center)
Hotel-Café Römerhof *** www.hotel-roemerhof.at (10 min. walk to the conference center)
Buchinger´s Donauhotel & Restaurant www.tiscover.at/buchinger (5 min. car travel to the conference center)
 
 
Tourism:

Tourist Information www.tullner-donauraum.at (German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Hungarian, Czech, Slowenian, Polish)
Township Tulln: www.tulln.at
 
 
Health/Emergency Services:

122 Fire
133 Police
144 Ambulance
141 Doctor on Call

Pharmacy St. Florian 02272/64555 www.st-florian-apotheke.at, Langenlebarner Strasse 1-3, Opening hours: Mon to Fri von 8 - 18, Sat 8 - 12

120 Roadside Assistance - ÖAMTC
123 Roadside Assistance - ARBÖ

0800 20 48 80 - Bank Card Suspension Hotline
 
 
Historisches:

History of the town Tulln on the Danube

The history of the town on the Danube started 2000 years ago. In the first to fourth centuries A.D. the Roman equestrian camp "Comagenis" was situated there. As early as in 791, on the occasion of Charlemagne's first war against the Avarsi, Tulln was first called "civitas", which connotes at least a larger settlement.

In the Middle Ages, under Babenberg rule, the town was repeatedly the venue of the state parliament and court day as well as a palace of the margraves. Tulln's prominent position as an eminent commercial centre in the Middle Ages was due to the town's position as a central traffic junction of the Bohemian and the Hungarian crossroads.

The town's main parish church and the internationally famous Tulln bone-house date back to that time. During the time of the Austrian Interregnum, Konrad of Tulln played an important role as a mediator of the Hapsburgs in the historical controversy between King Rudolf of Hapsburg and King Ottokar of Bohemia. While Vienna rose in importance, the small town on the Danube lost its function as a commercial centre and in due course diminished to that of a minor rural town. Nevertheless, in 1683 Tulln gained historical fame as the assembly point of the Christian relief troops that were to fight for the liberation of Vienna from the Turks.

After 1850 the town began to grow and could take over a central function, primarily through the building of the Franz-Joseph-railway line and the erection of the bridge across the Danube as well as the establishment of the chief office of the Tulln local government in 1892.

In about 1970 numerous smaller hamlets were united with the town in the Greater Municipality Tulln, thus seeing an increase in population to over 10.000. In 1986 the town was among others vying for the rank of Lower Austria's capital; Tulln could achieve several functions similar to those of a Federal County's capital and thus Tulln has risen to be one of the centres of Lower Austria.

Today Tulln enjoys an outstanding reputation not only as a commercial and economic centre and as a booming shopping centre but also as a centre of education, hosting many different types of schools and a university; additionally, the town is well known beyond the county's borders as the "Town of Roses" and a venue for many fairs.
 
 
MONITOR is an INTERREG IIIB Cadses Projekt supported by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).